Structural Design Engineer – Environmental Solutions
LOCATION: Cambridge, ON or Tulsa, OK
REPORTS TO: Engineering Manager, GT Exhaust Systems
The Structural Design Engineer provides technical support and carries out the structural design and analysis of project components. The Structural Design Engineer is responsible for the estimating-proposal-design-fabrication-delivery product lifecycle, and oversees structural consultants and suppliers, as directed by the Manager. A majority of the design tasks are focused on the structural design of large ducted systems for industrial gas turbine applications (air & gas handling, steel stacks, ducts and support structure). Understanding of operating requirements for Simple/Combined Cycle/Cogen and Exhaust/Intake systems is desired.
The Structural Design Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager, GT Exhaust Systems.
- Establish product design requirements from client drawings and specifications;
- Perform structural calculations for projects to ensure design is structurally adequate and it meets customer specifications and industry codes and standards;
- Coordinate, perform and check calculations required to substantiate the product design;
- Interface with Project Engineers for design reviews, customer communication, responding to technical design questions, checking designs for accuracy and constructability and providing engineering support to fabricators and constructors;
- Evaluate and approve shop changes to ensure the changes comply with original design and customer specifications;
- Review and investigate field issues and provide corrective action to resolve field problems;
- Conduct on-site inspections and troubleshooting investigations as required;
- Support the estimating, sales and proposals teams by preparing preliminary designs, technical write-ups and detailed cost estimates for bought-out components;
- For retrofit projects: evaluate existing systems, incorporate new designs to meet requirements while minimizing additional equipment;
- Review internal drawings that have a customer or vendor interface;
- Review and implement all standard Engineering Specifications as applicable to the product;
- Provide technical input into operating and maintenance manuals;
- Lead continuous improvement projects for cost reduction and quality improvement of products;
- Work with other Engineering team members to examine methods and strategies to improve both product and process;
- Other Duties as Assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- University Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering;
- A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of structural design experience in large stiffened steel plate structures, including stacks and ducts, round and rectangular, and their support structures;
- (Eligible for) Professional Engineer registration in USA or at least one province or territory of Canada, preferably Alberta and/or Ontario;
- Proficiency in structural steel design and analysis using STAAD, Mathcad, spreadsheet-based calculations and hand calculations, including analysis of components subject to elevated temperature cyclic service and fatigue analysis;
- Awareness of FEA and CFD analysis techniques;
- Knowledge of ASCE, IBC, UBC and National Building Code of Canada;
- Knowledge of AISC 360, AISC 341, CSA S16 and AISI S100;
- Codes/standards knowledge in other jurisdictions is a highly valued asset but not essential;
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills, using MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills;
- Proven ability to mentally visualize design concepts, and sketch-out designs for other team members to follow;
- Ability to adapt to changing customer profiles and work under pressure;
- The ability to lead large or small projects is an asset;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively in a project team environment where team members are spread across multiple office locations;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts.
We thank all interested candidates in advance, however, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please note there will be no provision for relocations costs offered for this position, we are looking for candidates within the specified region.